Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Yet another vampire book... but this time, spelled with a "y"

Marked is a strange book not in the way it's written, but how. Drumroll, please: written by a mother-daughter. P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast.  Strange, no? I would never write a book with my mom. No offense to her, but she doesn't know my characters. Of course, I can see how that would be useful, but... nuh-uh.
To the summary: The book starts with: "Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse, I saw the dead guy standing by my locker." A few pages later, Zoey is a vampyre... sort of. She is a fledgling, marked with an outline of the crescent-moon sign of the goddess Nyx, and must go to vampyre boarding school to learn (duh) and to undergo the Change from human to full-on blood-sucking night-worshipping vampyre. The perks: she gets to be gorgeous (it comes with the Change), away from her evil parents, and have super cool teachers. The downside: she might not survive the Change.
But that's not enough, is it? Because hours after the aforementioned "dead guy" turns her into a fledgling vampyre, as Zoey runs to see her grandmother, she falls, and in a dream meets Nyx, who tells her she is destined for great things, etc, and does something wonky to her Mark: normally, as a fledgling, her Mark would be simply an outline for the next few years. After chatting with the goddess, it's fully filled in. But that's not the end of the strange happenings. Zoey is, as said above, destined for great things...
A pretty good book; a bit explicit with the descriptions... I'd suggest it for older kids. Besides that, the character is a bit annoying at times, but likable in most ways. Unfortunately pour moi, I can't seem to get my hands on the second one...

No comments: